It is important that both small and medium-sized companies have excellent means of security in all possible aspects. Otherwise, any security breach can put the stability and continuity of the business at risk.
But, investing in business security is about much more than installing surveillance cameras. Security from the business point of view covers different areas: physical security, financial security, job security, computer security, etc.
- First of all, check that all your passwords are really strong whenever you can, protect the software at all times, and update it safely. Always remove spam messages from your email, as these usually contain a large number of viruses.
- Take a tour of the company and review the emergency exits and other physical security aspects. This Basic Occupational Risk Prevention Manual can be very useful at this point.
- Get in the habit of backing up the information that is truly important. Safely keep all backup copies of important company information and files.
- It implements control and audit mechanisms for those processes related to the management of information and key resources of the company. In the event of any anomaly, these mechanisms will allow you to identify where the problem is and take action quickly.
- Get to know the staff and their functions in the company, identify those who have access to important areas, and stay abreast of those who handle the keys to the company.
- If you are hiring a private security company, make sure you opt for a company with experience and support. When it comes to safety, cheap can be very expensive.
- Invest in insurance policies that can protect your company in every way possible in a safe and timely manner.
- Periodically, request a report of accidents and safety failures that have occurred in the last months in the company. This can be a good starting point for identifying problems.
- It is necessary to have good habits and be aware of the danger of the Internet so that everything flows efficiently in all possible aspects. Remember that the web is full of Trojans and viruses that put your company’s information at risk.
- Invest in surveillance systems. Implementing security cameras, acquiring an alarm system for companies and mechanisms to control the entry of people, will make life more difficult for criminals.
- Avoid giving confidential information about your company to strangers.
- It is important to use an advanced antivirus on all devices, whether they are tablets, mobiles and computers.
- You must be alert to any activity that is suspicious and causes you some kind of problem at a general level. It is better to be mistrustful than to sin out of naivety.
- Protects USB memory in all aspects, as well as the hard disk of the company computer that is being used.
- Finally, keep in mind that the principle of safety is to anticipate the events. Don’t wait for an accident to take action. Start right away to implement the necessary measures so that your company is safe and protected in the different aspects that we have mentioned throughout this article.
Keep in mind that security is no more luxury in today’s business environment that is plagued with cyber-security threats like data breaches and insider threats.